Friday, November 14, 2008

Secret Stash

Wake up. Get ready for work. Eat breakfast. Get to work. Design books for 8 hours. Come home. Make dinner. Run errands. Relax for a bit. Take a peek into my lonely studio. Crash for the night. Repeat.

I really do enjoy my job, but one of the most frustrating things about not having time to do new art is... *sigh* not having time to do new art. So I've devised a plan: When I have all these creative ideas running through my head, I stash my thoughts as tiny thumbnails on post-it notes or whatever other piece of paper I can get my hands on. Then they end up here, in my Secret Stash folder:



And hopefully sooner than later, I'll get back to them and make them real. So far, this method has been working well for me. It's all part of my journey–figuring out which path I want to take and what things in life that are most important. Art has always been a part of my life. It's what makes me the most happy and I feel the most comfortable with. I know that this journey is leading to something bigger than me, and I've just begun to realize that I can't always answer the "what-if's" or "I-don't-know-hows". I take one step at a time (sometimes easier said than done) and trust that I am exactly where I need to be at this moment in my life.

11 comments:

Lexy. said...

Oh I have a secret thumbnails stash too! Well... not so much a 'stash' since they're strewn all over the house, and then of course I can never find the one I'm looking for. I should learn to just shove 'em all in a box. Now that would be fun: to empty it all over the floor, spread them around, shut my eyes, and pick one to start on next!

And oh, I know what you mean about no art time. It's making me cranky! And it's moments like these that I get precariously close to telling my boss to shove it ;)

Hope you find that art time for yourself soon! Or, now?

Stephanie said...

I love your stash. I call mine my Idea Morgue. Tim Abler started me on that in college! Anywho...I'm home now. Can't wait to see you Tuesday. Let's get together after that!

Jill Scott said...

Even your sketches are gorgeous. I bet you could even sell those. I love your blog, it is too cute, just like your art.

Jennifer Katherine said...

Thanks...alot of them don't look like anything to anyone else - just scribbles here and there. So it really is secretive, because only I know what those scribbles mean. :)

Lisa said...

great idea! i may have to use it! i always think of my ideas when i'm laying in bed though...lol

thanks for dropping by my blog again! :))

Clelia said...

Wow I can feel your passion... Carry on ... don't stop your creativity!

Clelia

KitschenSink said...

I keep a sketch/notebook by my bed as I have most creative thoughts just before I go to bed!

Mitch said...

Ahh yes. I know your problems well. How to get up every morning and go to work but your mind and spirit always being elsewhere. To find energy and inspiration to "begin work" at 6:30-7pm after working all day somwhere else. To move from one computer,..to another and hopefully feel a light turn on inside. To see that pile of "to do" list of creative treasures staring at you while the days slip by. I have a folder the size of you that is filling up with ideas.

But you have it right. Take life one day at a time and you invest in yourself and your dreams & goals with the time it takes and find that love of art that got you interested in it back when you were a kid...it's all worth it. That spark and thrill to create never goes away. It may got dormant while you tend to lifes distractions,..but it's still there. And when you dive back in it'll take back over and you can shift into cruise control and just drive.

f2images said...

Very wise perspective. I totally have the same problem. That's a brilliant solution, I should just start keeping a journal with me to jot down my ideas/sketches for images I want to capture, etc. I wish I could Etsy full time, and that I'd make enough $$$, but agree with you that I believe I'm where I'm supposed to be right now, and not for lack of trying am I unable to "make it" on etsy alone.....yet!

Jennifer Katherine said...

'Yet' is the key word my dear...

karyn said...

One of my favorite quotes is "success is a journey not a destination." The best thing to do is - do what you love to do. And it sounds like you are doing it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails